Winning Cases
We Will Fight For Your Rights

Birmingham Criminal Appeals Attorney

Experienced Defense For Criminal Appeals in Alabama

A conviction may feel like the end of the line, but you may still be able to overturn your sentence or ruling, or request a judge to reconsider a sentence. Those who were convicted of a crime have the option to appeal his or her case if a legal error was made in the trial, hearing, or order itself.

If you or a loved one was convicted of a crime and you believe an error was made, contact our experienced appellate lawyers to ask about your options.

At the Revill Law Firm we are passionate about protecting the rights and freedoms of our clients. Whether you’re facing a complex legal situation or a straightforward issue, our experienced team of Birmingham appellate lawyers can help.

Reach out to our firm today for a free consultation with our experienced Birmingham criminal appeals lawyer! Contact us online or call our office at (205) 928-6544.

What is an Appeal?

After you’ve been convicted and sentenced, you may appeal, or ask a higher court to review the previous court’s decision.

The higher court, (also called the appellate court), will review the record of the lower court, including:

  • Transcripts
  • Any admitted evidence
  • And the recorded statements by the attorneys, judge, and witnesses

No new evidence is submitted to the appellate court, they will only review the record and briefs written by the lawyers. Briefs are the explanations given by both the appellant who is challenging the decision, and the appellee, who is defending the decision.

What Happens When the Trial Court's Decision is Challenged?

When the appellant decides to challenge the trial court’s decision, the appellant will write up a brief to explain why and how the decision was flawed. The opposing party will then write a responding brief to expound on why the decision was accurate and should be upheld.

Lastly, the appellant is allowed a final brief to respond to the appellee’s argument. In some cases, the appellate court will also hear the oral arguments of both sides.

State Appeals

Criminal Convictions or Juvenile Adjudications

All those tried in a state criminal court have a right to appeal through the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals to the Alabama Supreme Court. The deadline for state appeals is strict, so notify the court of your intent to appeal as quickly as possible.

The Alabama state court allows appeals for:

  • Felonies
  • Misdemeanors
  • Local ordinance violations
  • Adjudications
  • And post-conviction writs

Should the Court of Criminal Appeals deny an appeal, the appellant may petition the Supreme Court of Alabama. Any cases concerning federally protected rights may also be petitioned to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Petitions for Writ of Habeas Corpus, Writ of Mandamus, and Extraordinary Writs

Petitions to the appellate court to issue a writ or the trial court to issue a writ of habeas corpus are used in certain circumstances when, for instance, a trial court exceeds its discretion or an error has been made that allows for a writ to be issued.

These are narrow circumstances, but they are commonly used when:

  • The trial court fails to give an incarcerated individual the correct jail credit
  • An individual is immune from prosecution or being sued
  • When a trial court refuses to transfer the case to the proper venue
  • Or in other limited circumstances

These are appealable to the Alabama Supreme Court and if they concern a federally protected right may also be petitioned to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Federal Appeals

For cases tried in federal court, the party who was unsuccessful at the trial level can petition the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to have the decision overturned. If the 11th Circuit denies an appeal; the next option is to petition the U.S. Supreme Court for an appeal.

Like with state appeals, federal appeals are on a strict deadline, and must be petitioned rapidly following the final decision of the case. To make the most out of the federal appeals process it is important to have skilled appellate attorneys admitted to the 11th Circuit on your side.

Rule 32 Petitions

If you’ve exhausted all available options for a direct appeal in a criminal case, you can still file a petition under Rule 32.

Generally, under Rule 32 of the Alabama Rules of Criminal Procedure, a person may receive post-conviction relief from a conviction when any of the following are true:

  • Constitutional errors or violations require a new trial or new sentencing
  • The trial court did not have proper jurisdiction over the case
  • The sentence exceeded the maximum sentence
  • The defendant is being held after his or her sentence has expired
  • New evidence or facts have been found

Filing a Rule 32

Filing a Rule 32 can be complicated, and must be done correctly in order to satisfy the strict requirements of state and federal law. The best way to ensure you make the most of your Rule 32 petition or appeal is to hire an experienced criminal appeals attorney for professional help.

Habeas Corpus Petitions - 28 U.S.C. § 2254 and § 2255

§ 2254 Habeas Corpus Petition

If you have exhausted your ability to obtain relief from the State of Alabama in a Rule 32 proceeding, you might have the option of filing a § 2254 Habeas Corpus petition to challenge your sentence or conviction in federal court.

§ 2255 Habeas Corpus Petition

If you have exhausted your appeal in the federal court, you have the chance to challenge the constitutional errors in your trial and appeal under a § 2255 Habeas Corpus petition to overturn your conviction.

These are very law and fact intensive legal processes and the best way to ensure you make the most of your habeas corpus petition is to hire an experienced criminal appeals attorney for professional help.

A Birmingham Appeals Lawyer You Can Trust

At the Revill Law Firm, we understand how important the appeals process is and our legal team is prepared to do everything in our power to protect your rights. Not only are we available by phone 24/7, our firm also offers free consultations at our office for all prospective clients.

To begin working on your federal or state appeal, contact our experienced Birmingham criminal defense attorney at Revill Law Firm by giving us a call at (205) 928-6544.

Contact the Revill Law Firm

24 Hour Service & Free Consultations Available

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.