Available 24/7 205.928.6544
Served with Divorce in Alabama

Served with Divorce in Alabama

Served with Divorce in Alabama

Going through a divorce can be heartbreaking and time consuming, and the divorce rate in Alabama is the tenth highest in the country. The lawyers at Revill Law Firm are here to assist you with all your divorce needs, whether you are on the filing side of the divorce or you have been served with divorce papers. The information here will help you if you are the one being served with a divorce.

Served Party - Defendant

As the party on the receiving end of the divorce, you are called the Defendant. The party who filed the divorce is known as the Plaintiff. If you or your loved one suspects a divorce is coming, the best course of action is to talk to and hire an experienced divorce attorney as soon as possible. Having an attorney ready to go when the papers are served can help expedite the process. An attorney at Revill Law Firm can help walk you through the process and ensure your best interests are protected.

Summons and Complaint

The papers that the Defendant will be served with is called a Complaint. A Complaint is served with a Summons, which advises you that you have 30 days to respond. Your response is called an Answer. If you do not file an Answer within 30 days of being served with the Summons and Complaint, the court can issue a Default Judgment against you, awarding the Plaintiff all that he/she asked for in the complaint. For this reason, it is of utmost importance that you contact the Revill Law Firm immediately after you or a loved one is served with a Summons and Complaint. One of our experienced attorneys will be glad to answer any questions you may have, and help you navigate through these unfamiliar and difficult times.

There are two main types of divorce: uncontested and contested. If you or your loved one wish to process proceed with an uncontested divorce, the process is fairly simple; in an uncontested divorce, the two parties agree on the terms of the divorce, including child support, alimony, custody, and asset division, and there is little need for the court to get involved. However, in a contested divorce, the Defendant does not agree to the Plaintiff’s terms and the case must go to the court. In either situation, you should have an attorney look over the served papers and help draft your Answer to protect yourself.

If you or a loved one are dealing with a divorce, contact the Revill Law Firm today. Most people who are going through a divorce have had little to no experience in the legal world, and the attorneys at Revill Law Firm are ready to assist you through this confusing process.

Contact the Revill Law Firm

Get Started with a Free Consultation
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.